Fannie Pie: It's War!

Saturday, September 23, 2006

It's War!


It's started. The official Sock Wars has begun. Last night I received my weapon (pattern) and this morning I found out who my target is.... I have to complete a pair of socks and mail them to my target as fast as I can. When my target receives the socks, they're dead! At the same time, someone has targeted me....as soon as I receive a pair of socks in the mail, I'll join the fallen sock warriors.

When I signed up for this swap, I thought it would be fun, I'd knit a pair of socks and someone would knit me a pair. But I wasn't prepared for was the seriousness and strategy that some of the 700+ assassins have brought to this. There is a sock war forum and the talk, the swagger and the tension have been growing. All of this has ramped up the fun and drama level a bit until yesterday, when to top it all off the pattern posting was delayed by a hurricane!

Well today I have my target, and the challenge increases. First, it's a man, so bigger socks, UK size 10 to be exact. Second, he's not on this continent, I'll be checking out global priority mail. I wonder if it will cost me more to mail these socks than it did for the yarn and needles combined? No matter, Sock Wars is serious business, and money is no object!

Back to knitting... pictures later.

8 Comments:

Blogger kay_okc said...

Good luck!!!

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck to you, I saw the pattern on Sweater Project's site, looked easy enough and with DK and bigger needles, relatively faster knit sock so you should do splendidly.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

Good luck! I put mine in the mail this morning, hee hee hee.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Oh, and FYI, it cost me $9.50 to mail my socks global priority mail to the UK with the USPS. Jeez.

9:37 PM  
Blogger katie said...

May the force be with you.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue, what kind of yarn are you using?

7:51 PM  
Blogger Sanders said...

I'm using Lorna's Laces Swirl dk. It's 85%wool and 15% silk. I love the way the it feels as a knit fabric, but it twists something terrible.

The coordinator of this swap specified dk weight, thinking that it would go faster and that most people have some in their stash.

I had none, but plenty of sock yarn.... figures. I also wouldn't want most of my socks knit with dk weight, it's too bulky to fit in most of my shoes... but this is an exception. I will enjoy my one pair of the socks of doom, even if I can never wear them out of the house!!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Oxford Voter said...

I fear the socks are already on their way to me and as you'll see at oxknit.blogspot.com the first sock has come with a few teething problems. But I'm ready to start again!

The blog is great, by the way.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counters