Fannie Pie: Trek Along with Me!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Trek Along with Me!



When I joined the Trek Along With me KAL, I imagined myself taking the sock out to various beautiful parks and scenic spots around home and documenting my progress for the other Trekkers so see.

But then the actual reality of Oklahoma in the summer hit me. It's 105 degrees. It's humid. It's unpleasant in a way that makes the word unpleasant seem inadequate. I don't go trekking to local parks when it's 105 degrees, I stick fairly close to the A/C, being the wilting weenie yankee that I am.

There are exactly two pictures taken of the sock up to yesterday. Pretty, but less than 50 feet from my back door. The whole time I'm taking these I'm contemplating the total cop out that these pictures are and what in the world might have possessed me to consider joining a trek along KAL in Oklahoma in the summer, knowing full well I wouldn't want to trek anywhere in the heat. Until yesterday, yesterday there was a trekking opportunity not to be missed.


















Yesterday, Emma and I took a road trip to see the Yarn Harlot in Oklahoma City. We arrived just in time to get a ticket, so minimal standing in line. WooHoo. Here is a terrible picture of the sock waiting for the Yarn Harlot to arrived...... ( for better pictures hop over to the Prairie Knitter's blog... hers turned out great!)



Here is the Stephanie Pearl McPhee taking pictures or her sock and the crowd for her blog.

She was witty, she was funny, she was clever, she was charming, and she didn't freak out and run from the room when the entire audience broke into a broadway tune, which was a little frightening and funny at the same time.

After the talk she signed books at the Gourmet Yarn Company. ( A lovely shop, I'll have to visit again when it's not packed to the gills with knitters ) Where we chatted with the Prairie Knitter, saw Rosemary and Kay. It was fun to go to a book signing where you actually had something in common with all the other people there, other than an interest in the book someone wrote.

It was a fun evening, and I'm so glad that the OKC knitter's guild, Metropolitan Library system and Gourmet Yarn Co. together to bring Stephanie Pearl McPhee to Oklahoma!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

Oooh, such a pretty sock!

12:03 AM  
Blogger kay_okc said...

Could you find some picturesque scene on tv and hold the sock in front and sorta make people believe you "went" there? lol It is too hot to do much of anything these days. It was so nice to meet you. I'm very glad you made the trek in the heat to OKC. Stephanie is worth every degree in my books.

7:13 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Yay! The Yarn Harlot! I'm still feeling light-headed!

And I don't blame you for not trekking much right now. I always look forward to doing outdoorsy stuff in the summer, until it gets here and I remember that I don't go outside in the summer!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

I think I was sitting a row or so in front of you at the library because I remember my friend and I admiring the colors in your Trekking sock. It's gorgeous.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was the absolute best, wasn't it?
I'm sorry I missed out on Harlot with the tiara on that you made her, darn. I'm so glad you and Emma got to be there (along with everyone there!) and yeah, I'm still feeling giddy.

4:02 PM  
Blogger KatyaR said...

I love your sock (I'm the one who was with Missy). What's the Trekking color number? I may have to have some of that . . . .

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counters