Fannie Pie: Fancy terrible...

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Fancy terrible...

"This wasn't just plain terrible, this was Fancy terrible. It was terrible with raisins in it." -Dorothy Parker.

It's not good when the most fitting description of your week comes from Dorothy Parker. There must be some type of cosmic disturbance this week. Every single simple thing has been endlessly complicated, derailed, backwards, missing or just broken. If I'm in good form and have both feet under me, the little oddities of life come and go and I vent and move on (I know I vent and vent and vent but still I eventually move on) but the weirdness has been coming so fast and thick this week, I'm losing my balance.

This disturbance has mostly manifested itself at work. Now, usually, work is odd. I work with the public and people can and will do ANYTHING, and they seem to find their way to my workplace to do it. Working with the public is always interesting, sometimes rewarding and often downright strange. I'm here to tell you there is no ONE reality, there are lots of them, and some are plenty interesting to visit.

But this week it's not the people, (well it's always the people, people) but even more than that it's the stuff... gadgets, computers, tools, malfunctioning weirdly and in impossible ways. Add the regular irregularities on top of that and it's been a helluva long week already and it ain't over.

Maybe it's the weird weather. From 95 one day, tornado sirens, hail, rain and blasting winds to 41 degrees the next. Even Scout got caught out in the thunderstorms. Ever seen a long haired cat soaking wet? I didn't take pictures, she would have been humiliated. Fortunately Scout doesn't mind the blowdryer, and felt just as pretty as you please, once it was all over. I wish the rest of the world would bounce back like her. She is unsinkable, that Scoutie.

So I'm home thinking of ways to blot out the weirdness and get something done. I'm working on a piece for the TAC 5x5 show. Not sure how it will turn out yet... it's due Sat. (Lots o' time!) I haven't done this show before but I love the idea and it's wildly popular, so what the heck.
I need to do more stuff like this for balance.

Before the fancy terrible week started, my book group met at Chez Fanniepie and watched Capote. Very interesting and enlightening after reading In Cold Blood. I loved the peek into Capote and Harper Lee's relationship, tiny as it was. Next month it's In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant. Should be quite a change from In Cold Blood, dwarves and courtesans, quite a change.

I gave up on reading The Number One Ladies Detective Agency. I think too many people raved about it to me, so the expectations were high. I might have enjoyed it if I had stumbled on it when I hadn't heard anything about it... but as it is, I'm putting it away for now. It's cute, but I'm not in the mood for cute.

So I'm in search of a good book. Something quirky, befitting my odd week. Until I find it I'll be knitting on my TAC project, Rogue and assorted socks ( how did I get so many socks going at once? ) and listening to Coutesan on my ipod and thinking about next month when we'll be off to Alma and then on to my favorite place on the planet. ( see below)

3 Comments:

Blogger katie said...

Though I'm sorry your week has been so rough, I'm glad to have "fancy terrible" as a new phrase! Reminds me a little of Holly Golightly's "mean reds".

Hope the rest of your week is better!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read
Keith Moon, Instant Party
He found some creative ways to blow off steam and to get rid of hyper energy!
I was looking for a photo of your elephant - Mom is too. We'll check back later.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't like the Ladies Detective Agency either. Something quirky? Hmmmm, I can't think of anything right now. I'll come back if I do.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counters