Fannie Pie: Day One.....

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Day One.....

This is the progress after the opening ceremonies.... I've completed most of the back (up to the armholes) and used almost 2 skeins of yarn. I think I'm off to a good start.

I'm not sure how much time I'll have to work on this project, but it's possible that my project will be done with time to spare. When this realization hit me last night, I immediately started to wonder if I could complete two sweaters in 16 days. I'll just chalk that lunacy up to Olympic spirit.

I do think I'm knitting faster, probably the result of knitting practically all my non- working and non-sleeping hours. It's possible, although unusual, that I've underestimated myself. I'm not much for competition normally, it just seems so artificial. I usually prefer to just do my best at the time, with out contrived time restraints or circumstances, at least where knitting is concerned. Because of this, and the fact that I'm still learning and improving, I don't really know what I can do within artificial time constraints. But the Knitting Olympics? Just sounded like too much fun to miss.

The yarn for this sweater is GGH Savana, it's a blend of alpaca, wool and linnen. I ordered it from Knit Happens, and it's very soft and springy with the occasional slub of linnen. At first, I didn't like the irregular texture that the slubs created, but I'm growing fond of the bumpy, frosty look of it. It feels like alpaca with a backbone, lofty and strong. The color varies too, making it look more like a hand dyed yarn. The sweater will be a little warm for Oklahoma, but I think I'll wear it... depending on the fit.

I've also finished one lace leaf sock. No pictures yet. I love that sock pattern. I'll definitely be making more. I've set them aside until the Olympic sweater is done. No point in taking chances, even if I did finish 1/6th of the project on the first day. I also have to keep in mind the finishing. My least favorite part... in fact, the Manos sweater is done, and has been for over a week, but can I wear it? No, it's in pieces on the blocking table.

I'm off to work today so no progress until tonight.


1 Comments:

Blogger katie said...

Wow! Your cables are beautiful! And you are probably almost finished by now. Now, not only did I NOT get a Team Oklahoma button up on time for the Olympics, but I am seriously making our team look bad (I've only knit 10 rows of my HAT, for crying out loud)!

Seriously though, good job!

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counters