Fannie Pie: Happy Holidays

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Happy Holidays

.... sometimes you just have to take things in the spirit in which they are offered.

Several years ago while teaching weaving I was approached about doing a private tutorial for a man and his wife. It seems that man had purchased a loom for his wife and thought she would get more out of private lessons than she would in a class setting. I agreed and both husband and wife attended lessons.

During the months I taught them he questioned me about the parts of the loom, the age and evolution of the technology, the origins of the techniques I taught them and seemed surprised that I actually knew the answers to the questions he asked. He also made it clear that he was not going to be doing any weaving, he was just here for the information so that when his wife had questions later he would be able to help her. She was actually a fairly quick learner, although not as curious as her husband about the background stuff, I felt she had a good start and could become a very good weaver.

On the last day of class when we were wrapping up projects and making sure they had all the information and equipment they needed to get going on their own the husband turned to me and said, seriously and sincerely, "you know, you're pretty smart for a girl".

And I said " thank you".

If someone is not trying to insult or belittle you, I think it's better to just take their good wishes in the manner and spirit in which they are offered.

Ditto wishes for happiness during a season of many holidays.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sanders said...

Why thank you! ... and Happy Festivus to you!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

Amen... Very well said! And advice I will be sure to take from now on :-)

Have a great holiday!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Snicker, "you're smart for a girl". I've heard that one before, though not lately due to age...

You just have to take the compliment as it's offered. Some just don't "get" how that sounds and it's not worth getting aggrivated over!

Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings, and all that!

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counters