Fannie Pie: Socktoberfest update!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Socktoberfest update!

Well two and 1/4 pairs of socks so far.... I'm shooting for three by the end of October. Socktoberfest has been fun, I'm really enjoying all the updates on Lolly's blog! The big pair is my regia pair and the little ones are of baby cashmerino... so soft.


To see for yourself, you'll have to click on my socktoberfest button, as I'm on my laptop without a mouse and it suddenly refuses to obey ctrl+c and ctrl+v commands. Damn laptops think they're so cute they don't have to function as well as desktops! Dragging items is also more than my laptop cares to do this evening. sigh.

The reason I'm without my trusty desktop computer is that DH and I spent the better part of an day rearranging the living room furniture. The result is wonderful, but left the computer desk, and it's companion computer far from their network tether. Instead of further swiss cheesing our house to run more network wire, we're gonna extend the wireless network I use for my laptop. Much easier the next time we decide to move computers, but until we get to the computer store we're functioning with my wireless laptop and the plethora of work machines in DH's room. I won't be using any of his, however, that room is frightening. Too many machines in one place, the hum alone is scary not to mention the possibility of screwing up some impossibly complicated machine/setup/attatched appliance.

Aside from socks, I have been playing with one of the ideas I got from a new book called Oddball Knitting by Barbara Albright. There are some great things in it, but what caught my eye was the little charm bag. I didn't actually read the pattern, just looked at the pictures and grabbed some leftover yarn.


That's a quarter at top for scale. I still haven't finished them, only the largest one has its string, and the two at the right aren't decorated at all, just knitted. These were fun and they use a tiny amount of yarn. The purplish bag is Noro silk garden, the green one is alpaca silk from Blue Sky Alpaca. The other two I can't remember.

I'm going to try and finish my newest sock. We'll see if I can possibly finish this pair by the 31st, they are huge and I have lots of stuff to do between now and then...Here's where I am now...wish me luck and uninterrupted knitting!

10 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Cute bags! Nice socks. I love the name of your blog.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

You can do it! Look how much you've gotten done so far.

Happy Socktober!

7:56 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Your Regia socks are fantastic! Great colors, too. Love the baby cashmerino socks. How do you like that Oddball Knitting book? I've seen it in catalogs and it looks like it has some interesting ideas for leftover yarn. Your charm bags are adorable!! BTW, I love that KnitPicks Simple Stripes colorway. Can't wait to see the finished socks! Happy Socktober! :-)

1:35 AM  
Blogger Sanders said...

Thanks for the kind words!

The Oddball Knits book has lots of pretty things in it.... but since everyone likes different things I will give you my standard librarian advice "check it out at your library first, then if you like it, buy it! " I just hate buying things sight unseen.

That said, one of the things I did buy without seeing it was the knitpicks sock yarn and I like it, pretty yarn and a good deal!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Anny said...

Great job on the Regia socks. I should try knitting with size 1's. I also usually knit socks with 2's and knitting with 1's just sounds like it would take forever. The socks look fantastic so I guess it was worth it.

The little ones look like the two needle socks from Debbie Bliss' "Baby knits for beginners" which I've been wanting to knit for my little guy but am concerned about the comfort of the seam down the middle. If they are the Debbie Bliss socks, how's the seam? If not, do you mind sharing where you got the pattern for those cuties.

Cheers!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Oh the socks looks great! I really like the Regia colorway and the baby socks are so cute :)

10:09 AM  
Blogger Ginger said...

The socks are great, the baby ones are adorable. I'll have to take a closer look at the Oddball Knitting book, looks like it has some cute projects in it.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Wendie / monkey loves oliver said...

Love those socks!! Those are going to be some lucky feet!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi! Great socks! I made socks in Simple Stripes in the same colorway and I LOVE them. So soft and comfy.

BTW, I lived in Lawton for many years when I was growing up! So I had to give a shout out to a knitter from Oklahoma!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Sanders said...

Anny- the baby socks are a modified version of a pattern I found at Knittinggeek.com. I can't find it online right this second, but it was made with koigu kersti. It's a fairly simple pattern. Cast on 32, no ribbing, knit as many rows as you like, heel flap on half the stitches, turn heel and knit foot as long as you like... use your favorite toe. Sorry to be so vague, but that's about how I think about them as i make them.

If you can find the original at Knittinggeek.com, it's much more detailed, but I pretty much just used the number of stitches to cast on and didn't use any ribbing on the top.

good luck!

I tried the debbie bliss pattern you mentioned, and I didn't like the seam. In fact I thought it was alot more trouble to knit socks on straight needles than on dpns. I only made one of those because I disliked the result (with seam) but I found I loved the baby cashmerino yarn!

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counters